Dispute resolution practice
I trained as a mediator in 1987 with the Community Justice Center in Queens, New York. Since my initial training I have completed advanced training, including training in mediating discrimination disputes, workplace mediation and online dispute resolution. In 2005 I was accredited by the former umbrella body for not-for-profit mediation, Mediation UK, as part of the Legal Services Commission’s Quality Mark for Mediation.
I carry full professional indemnity insurance and complete at least 10 hours of continuing professional development (CPD) annually. I comply with the European Code of Conduct for Mediators.
My mediation work involves organisations in the public, not-for-profit and for-profit sectors, including:
- the Equalities Mediation Service, a national service for disputes involving alleged discrimination under the Equalities Act 2010. I specialise in rights-based mediation of discrimination claims in higher education, consumer goods and services, public services, and employment
- the London SEN Mediation Service in disputes between parents and school, parents and local authorities, and Academies and local authorities. Most of these disputes involve special educational needs, including statutory assessment, statementing and support at school, as well as communication issues and claims of disability discrimination
- IDRAS (Improving Dispute Resolution Advisory Service for Further and Higher Education), specialising in disputes in higher and further education, including discrimination claims, student complaints, communication issues
My work with ombuds schemes includes roles as a non-executive director, as an independent complaints assessor and as a member of the Ombudsman Association.
- an independent non-executive of the Office for Legal Complaints, which established and oversees the Legal Ombudsman in England and Wales. The Legal Ombudsman considers complaints by consumers about regulated legal services providers
- an independent member of the Validation Committee of the Ombudsman Association
Complaints investigation and adjudication
I carry out independent review of complaints about organisations and currently hold the following positions:
- the independent assessor of service complaints about Ombudsman Services Ltd, which considers complaints about utility companies (telecommunications and gas and electricity) and about surveyors throughout the UK
- the independent complaints reviewer for IDRS (Independent Dispute Resolution Service), a consumer dispute resolution service managed by CEDR
- complaints moderator for the British Acupuncture Council