Research and consultancy
I carry out research on ADR and specifically mediation, and I also provide consultancy on dispute resolution process design and on complaints handling.
My research focuses primarily on mediation and ombuds, but I am interested in people’s views and experiences of legal services and of dispute resolution more generally, and particularly in areas where there are issues of public interest, power imbalances and individual rights. I am experienced at carrying out qualitative interviews, both in person and by telephone, and I bring sensitivity and professionalism to that work.
I am a Visiting Research Fellow with the UK Administrative Justice Institute (UKAJI), a UK-wide research hub and network based at Essex University.
I was lead researcher on a project funded by the Nuffield Foundation to explore the use of informal resolution approaches by UK ombudsmen. Our final report, published in 2014, and updates on our follow-up work and relevant developments, are available on our blog at www.ombudsresearch.org.uk
Other projects include:
- exploring democratic design approaches to reimagining administrative justice and human rights (2019)
- researching dispute resolution for human rights and equalities complaints for the Equality and Human Rights Commission (2016)
- developing and managing the ADRnow website (2003 – 2013)
- researching mediation in judicial review with the Public Law Project (2009 – 2011)
- reviewing the complaints process, Ofsted (Dec 2007 – Feb 2008)
- mapping complaints-handling bodies for the Administrative Justice and Tribunals Council (Nov 2005 – July 2007)
- conducting independent evaluations of the mediation pilots run by the Ministry of Justice at Manchester County Court (Sept. 2004 – June 2006)
- training in mediation for Law Society caseworkers (Sept–Oct 2005)
- researching quality assurance in ADR for the National Consumer Council (March–April 2005)
- producing a “Redress Strategy Paper” for the National Consumer Council, exploring current issues in access to justice, including ADR, legal aid and small claims (May 2004)